Tuesday, February 23, 2010

FIIIIVE GOLDEN RINGS!!!

First of all, let us all congratulate Ferdy and The Siren for their magnificent management of the For the Love of Film blogathon. They raised a little over $10,000 which was their goal! It was iffy at first, but I am so proud to say that they made it. This amount of money will preserve one 3-reel film (that's feature length!). Hopefully we can find out what film is preserved with the money they raised. I am sorry to say that I was not able to contribute a second entry as I had originally planned, but I came down with a pretty nasty stomach bug, then I went out of town last weekend, so I never got to it. I guess I'll have to save it for next time.

Second, I recently installed a blog tracker, and I'm totally hooked to it. I can't believe that I am getting hits from Germany, Australia, Canada, and even South Africa! If you are an international visitor, please let me know. It's exciting to think that anyone is reading my blog, especially someone that far away.

And finally before i get to Actors number 5, My L.A. trip is officially officially on! It was tentative until my friend replied and said that we can stay with her, so now it is definitely going to happen. My best friend Paige is coming with me, and in addition to research I am going to do departmental visits at the UCLA school of Moving Image Archive studies and Critical Studies at USC. Plus all of the fun sightseeing! You have no idea how excited I am, especially since this semester is super busy and is driving me nuts. The only thing that sucks about my L.A. trip is that my 21st birthday is the day after I return, so no drinking (in bars, at least) while I'm there. boo.

Anyway, my #5 favorite actor is...Joseph Cotten! This is mostly because he is so dreamy (apparently I have a thing for butt chins...), but he was also a damn good actor.

Favorite roles: Zach in I'll Be Seeing You, Jed in Citizen Kane

(apparently I like posting What's My Line videos. They're just so fun!)

Number 5 is also Doris Day. Even on the worst day, she can make me smile. I like her persona on screen and off, and the two are very different. I recommend reading her biography, because she frankly discusses things you would never expect to hear from someone like Jan Morrow. She is also an extremely talented singer, definitely one of my favorite voices. I am going to go on video overkill here and bog you down with a few, because she really is a complex woman. Also, if you are as passionate about the rescue of animals as Doris and I are, please consider donating to her Animal Rescue Foundation.
Favorite roles: Jan in Pillow Talk, Lucy in Storm Warning, Cathy in That Touch of Mink


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful comments about DORIS DAY and for the great YouTube clips...isn't it great to have these?
    Sounds like you are a real DORIS DAY fan - so, I want to tell you about DORIS DAY & FRIENDS - an hour plus radio show that can be heard worldwide via the internet. Every Sunday at 3:00PM (EST) you can hear Mike DeVita, a retired English professor who has been a fan and friend of Miss Day for many years, host this fabulous hour+ radio show - there is an encore edition on Wednesdays at 8:00PM (EST) and also at Midnight (EST). Mike has wonderful commentary that makes it a real musical history presentation - your hear sometimes 30+ DD songs - Go to:

    www.frednetradio.com

    Click on Listen Here Now....Mike is covering Doris in the 50s right now.

    I was a fan since age 10 and grew up to meet Doris and was her personal assistant in the 70s when she was filming her TV show at CBS - and lived with her for nearly 2 years. I wrote my memoir - "DAY AT A TIME - An Indiana Girl's Sentimental Journey to Doris Day's Hollywood & Beyond" from Hawthorne Publishing which came out in late 2007.

    Just thought you would want to know about DORIS DAY & FRIENDS on FredNetRadio - talk about a winning team - DORIS DAY, Mike DeVita and FredNetRadio!!!!

    Mary Anne Barothy
    studiogirl1944@yahoo.com
    www.dayatatimesentimentaljourney.com

    ReplyDelete